|
근시일 내 결정될 NGAS의 결과에 따라 엠브라에르가 KC-390 공중급유기의 미국 진출을 추진하네요. 엠브라에르 자체적으로는 즉각적인 수요가 120~140대에 달하며, 현재는 L3Harris와의 파트너십이 종료됐지만 새로운 협력이 가능하며, 향후 입찰에 단독으로 참여할 지 파트너십을 꾸릴 지는 아직 미정이라고 합니다.
KC-390에는 아직 붐이 안 달려있지만 이를 탑재할 수 있다고 확신한다고 하네요.
Embraer ready to step up KC-390 tanker investment for US, pending NGAS decision - Breaking Defense
Embraer ready to step up KC-390 tanker investment for US, pending NGAS decision
Should the Air Force say "'we're going to move now with NGAS....[or] If they say 'we have reassessed, and our plans will be different, we [at Embraer] need to adjust that investment timeline" accordingly, said Frederico Lemos, Embraer Defense and Security chief commercial officer.
By Tim Martinon March 31, 2025 at 11:33 AM
A Portuguese Air Force KC-390 airlifter on stand at Beja Air Base (Breaking Defense)
LISBON — As it seeks to break into the American market, Brazil’s Embraer is willing to “adjust” investment in its KC-390 agile tanker to fund a purpose built refueling boom for the US Air Force, should the service’s Next Generation Air Refueling System (NGAS) reassessment signal a faster paced acquisition approach.
The Air Force is expected to share results from an NGAS analysis of alternatives in the coming days, according to Defense One, which in theory at least, should give industry a much clearer look at where a future, stealth tanker platform sits within new force design plans— modernization that has been significantly boosted by the decision to award Boeing with a Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) sixth generation, F-47 fighter jet contract.
The NGAS analysis of alternatives is part of a wider tanker fleet requirement, comprising of 455 aircraft, that Embraer has its sights on, including an “immediate need” for 120-140 units, said Frederico Lemos, Embraer Defense and Security chief commercial officer.
Should the Air Force say “‘we’re going to move now with NGAS….[or] If they say ‘we have reassessed, and our plans will be different, we [at Embraer] need to adjust that investment timeline” accordingly, Lemos said during a company sponsored visit to Lisbon. (Like other outlets Breaking Defense accepted travel and hotel accommodations from Embraer.) “To have a boom today for a market that is only coming [in] five years, doesn’t make much sense.”
As Breaking Defense first reported, Embraer and L3Harris ended a partnership to deliver the proposed agile tanker and boom design to the US market but a plan is underway to secure new collaboration — although the firm is still to determine if it will pursue future tanker aircraft tenders as a prime or in partnership with a US prime.
“We have very good discussions with companies in the US [but] again, we need to understand what is the path going forward for this capability,” said Lemos, while sharing that “most” of the major KC-390 subsystems, including engines and avionics, are manufactured in the US. International Aero Engines produces the V2500-E5 powerplant, while Collin’s Aerospace manufacturers Pro Line Fusion avionics.
“We are looking at what could be the right partnership for the boom,” Lemos said. “We see that the boom is very important for success in the US, even internationally.” He added, “we would like to maintain the flexibility of the plane with the boom,” suggesting any future collaboration will attempt to sidestep reducing the multirole capabilities of the platform.
“We are confident that we can have a boom solution in the 390 and we have different ways of integrating it,” Lemos explained. “We have studied different ways of integrating it. The requirements that we might see from the US are going to be influential on the path that we will take.”
Lemos also stated that should the KC-390 win a Pentagon contract, the company would be willing to stand up a local production line, as it has previously done for its A-29 Super Tucanos.
In terms of a specific location, he said, “nothing is written in stone” but the decision will take into consideration factors including resources, logistics and demands related to “people” and “engineering.”
Embraer also responded to a NGAS mission systems request for information last year, and based off an Air Force “indication” was expecting to receive more tenders covering “platform” specific requirements, but nothing has materialized. “Today, we don’t know what’s going to happen,” said Lemos.
RecommendedWarning Russia has ‘initiative’ in Ukraine, Sweden announces record $1.6B defense aid package
“It is Russia that has the initiative in the war,” Swedish defense minister Pål Jonson stated, emphasizing Sweden’s urgent need to support Ukraine to ‘break that trend right now.”
By Jonas Olsson
“If there’s another RfI coming….we are in touch with them, and we will respond, because we are committed to support this.”
Despite the committed effort from Embraer to eventually strike a deal with the Air Force, the US is still not part of a KC-390 user group — a forum that, despite the name, covers both current operates of the aircraft and those wanting to acquire it.
The group has grown quickly over recent years in line with a spate of European orders from Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Portugal, The Netherlands and an undisclosed customer, while Sweden and Slovakia have selected the aircraft for acquisition, but are still to place a firm order.
Maj. Gen. Joao Nogueira, director of weapon systems maintenance directorate, at the Portuguese Air Force, told journalists that the US was “not yet” part of the user group.
“That would be an outstanding step for sure, if [the] US… decided that this could be a good platform,” he added.
|
첫댓글 NCAS 개발 대신 있는 것 빨리 사자로 결정이 나면 KC-390을 제안한다는 것이죠?
NGAS가 추진되건 안되건 KC-46과는 별개로 KC-135 대체기 급하게 살 거라고 보는 것 같습니다. 미공군은 그냥 100년 굴릴 생각인 것 같은데..