|
|
Republic of the Philippines CAVITE STATE UNIVERSITY CAVITE, PHILIPPINES (6346) 4150-010 Website : www.cvsu.edu.ph
HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE CAVITE STATE UNIVERSITY
The Cavite State University (CVSU) in Indang, Cavite started as pioneer Intermediate School established by the American Thomasites in 1906. Its first teachers were the American Thomasites recruited from the United States Armed Forces, with Mr. C.E. Workman as its first principal.
Subsequently, the enrolment increased and Filipino teachers were hired. Two American principals succeeded Mr. Workman: Mr. Henry Wise followed by Mr. Joseph Cocannouer. In 1915, the school had its first Filipino principal, Dr. Mariano Mondoñedo. During this time intermediate classes were maintained with emphasis on vocational agriculture for boys and domestic sciences for girls. In 1918, the name of the school was change to Indang Farm School.
In 1920’s the school site had expanded through the donation of civic-minded citizens of Indang like Don Severino de las Alas, who was Secretary of Interior in General Aguinaldo’s cabinet and Don Franciso Ocampo.
When Mr. Simeon Madlangsakay became the school principal, the name of the school was changed to Indang Rural High School. It first offered secondary courses in Vocational Agriculture in 1923 and in Home Economics in 1927.
In 1958, as a way of recognizing Don Severino de las Alas’ contribution to the community, to the province of Cavite and to the nation, the name of the Institution was changed by congressional initiative to Don Severino National Agricultural School.
In 1964, through the bill authored by Rep. Justiniano Montano Sr., the school was converted into a state college. It was called Don Severino Agricultural College (DSAC) by virtue of R.A. No. 3917, with Mr. Vicente G. Hicaro as the officer-in-charge. On August 23, 1967, Mr. Santiago M. Rolle was appointed as the first College President.
Mr. Vicente T. Pinazo became its second College President in 1971. A certificate in Technical Agriculture was introduced as a post-secondary course, in addition to the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA) and B.S. in Agricultural Education. (BSAg. Ed.) The Faculty and Staff Development Program(FSDP) was started by sending faculty members to take up graduate studies at the University of the Philippines at Los Baños (UPLB)
In 1976, Dr. Sotero L. Lasap Jr. transferred to DSAC from UP Los Baños and served as the College Dean. The succeeding years had been devoted to the establishment and operation of the research and extension functions of the College, thus, the Research and Extension Services projects were instituted.
In 1978, Pres. Pinazo and Dr. Lasap, together with Mr. Teofilo H. Montemayor, vice president for External Affairs of Central Mindanao University (CMU), conceptualized and submitted a proposal on extension work to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Subsequently, the Agricultural Education Outreach Project (AEOP), a three-year innovative extension strategy began in 1980, was approved and jointly funded by the Government of the Philippines through the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) and the United States Government through US Agency for International Development (USAID). The project was carried out In seven state universities and colleges (SUC’s) throughout the country including DSAC and CMU, and forth major equipment and infrastructure development to the College.
During this development period, the mission of the College was “to provide quality but affordable education to the socially and economically disadvantaged. It shall provide instruction, research and extension services in the arts, sciences, technology and literature toward the development of individuals with applied orientations in their chosen careers”.
After Pres. Pinazo’s death in 1983, Dr. Ruperto S. Sangalang became the officer-in-charge, and later acting president, then full-fledged president of the College.
School Year 1983-‘84 saw the offering of Agricultural Science curriculum a special research- oriented curriculum for talented high school students. Two senior students, Sheila Marie Rupido and Syd Lorence Ernie, were soon named Outstanding Junior Scientists and represented the Philippines in the Science Congress in Thailand in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Finally, on January 22, 1998, DSAC was converted into CAVITE STATE UNIVERSITY (CvSU) by virtue of Republic Act No. 8468. Dr. Sangalang, the appointed first University president, said that “it is both fitting and proper for the province of Cavite to have its own state university in view of the centennial celebration of the Philippine Independence in 1998. A university for the province underscores the leading role that Cavite played during the Philippine Revolution. The University serves as an eloquent testimony of the kind of care and attention the government is giving to deserving Caviteños, many of whom are descendants of the gallant revolutionaries who laid down their lives so that we of the latter generations may live in peace in a democratic society.”
As a consequence of the conversion of the College into University, the four schools were elevated into colleges, namely: the College of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Natural Resources (CAFENR); the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS); the College of Education (CED); and the College of Engineering (CEng).
Two new colleges were created: the College of Economics, Management and Development Studies (CEMDS) and the College of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation (CSPEAR). The Open University System was renamed Open Learning College (OLC). The Graduate School remains operational with four extramural learning centers namely: the Cavite College of Fisheries in Naic, Cavite; the Department of Agriculture in Sta. Cruz, Laguna; the Mindoro State College of Agriculture and Technology in Victoria, Oriental Mindoro; and the Quezon National Agricultural School in Pagbilao, Quezon.
Since the school year 1996-1997, the College has offered 16 doctoral, masteral and post B.S. diploma programs in various fields, majority of which are in agriculture and related fields.
There are 23 baccalaureate degree programs in agriculture, education, arts and sciences, engineering and business management. The 13 non-degree programs, which are by nature technology courses, are tailored to fit the demands of the project CALABARZON which has attained an unprecedented high degree of development in Cavite.
Enrolment in all programs for the first semester, School Year 1998-1999 reached 6,918, an increase of 15.5 percent compared to the same term during the previous school year.
The offering of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program in School Year 1997-1998 prompted the University to create the College of Veterinary Medicine.
In consonance with the implementation of the Agriculture and Fishery Modernization Act (AFMA) of 1997, the Department of Agriculture (DA) has tapped the University as one of the members of the National Research, Development and Extension System Networks. The University serves as the leader in the National Integrated Research, Development and Extension Network on Urban Agriculture and in the National RDE Sub-Network on Coffee.
Likewise, it serves as member in the other networks namely: fruit crops, plantation crops, ornamentals, agricultural engineering, vegetables, root crops and plant genetic resources.
On May 19, 2000, a CHED supervised institution in the Province of Cavite was integrated to the CvSU system through CHED Memorandum Order No. 27, series of 2000 and BOR Resolution No. 14, series of 2000 – the Cavite College of Fisheries in Naic, Cavite.
In recognition of the potentials of the College of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Natural Resources (CAFENR) and the College of Engineering and Information Technology (CEIT), on November 6, 2000, the Commission on Higher Education designated CvSU as the Center of Development in Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering.
On February 7, 2001, another CHED supervised institution in the province, the Cavite College of Arts and Trade (CCAT) in Rosario, Cavite was integrated to the CVSU system through CHED Memorandum Order No. 27, series of 2000 and BOR Resolution No. 2, series of 2001.
In the same year, the CvSU-Cavite City campus was launched and operationalized through BOR Resolution No. 72, series of 2001; a Memorandum of Agreement was signed during the later part of the year for the establishment of the CvSU-Carmona campus and it became operationalized in June 2001 through BOR Resolution No. 8, series of 2002.
During the December 2001 CvSU planning workshop among the university administrators, the vision and mission statements of the University were framed-up.
In support to the vision of the province of Cavite, CvSU envisions to become “The premier University in historic Cavite recognized for excellence in the development of globally competitive and morally upright individuals.” The mission is: “Cavite State University shall provide excellent, equitable and relevant educational opportunities in the arts, sciences and technology through quality instruction and responsive research and development activities. It shall produce professional, skilled and morally upright individuals for global competitiveness.”
In August 2003, another branch campus was established, the CvSU-Imus campus through BOR Resolution No. 58, Series of 2003.
These milestones brought forth the following major accomplishments to the University:
“Development of the institution from a small college of agriculture offering a single degree program with 1,526 students about half of whom were in the secondary, to a multi-campus university with about 11,000 students; two national research commodity centers; one foreign-assisted project; two regional centers; seven national research commodity memberships; and two CHED Centers for Development.”
It was during Academic Year 2004 when CvSU adopted the BI2-FOR2CE as an acronym of its institutional strategies, where: B-est and Brightest; I-nternationalization; I-ncentives; F-acilities; O-thers; R-esource Generation; R-esearch, Development and Extension/Special Projects; C-lient Responsiveness; and E-xcellence. All major units of the University incorporated almost all of these strategies in the 2004 Performance Commitments and Targets.
On July 30, 2008, Dr. Divinia C. Chavez was appointed President by virtue of BOR Resolution No. 62, Series of 2008.
At present, the University has nine colleges and one graduate school in the main campus, two integrated CHED-supervised institutions and seven branch campuses.
In pursuit of the goals set forth by the University, the administrators, faculty members, employees and students are rallying behind the tenets of Truth, Excellence and Service which the University stands for and lives by.
Attested by:
DIVINIA C. CHAVEZ
President
|
|
